June 11, 2007

Amazing

It's pretty amazing to see how the Chinese people have come so far in terms of speaking foreign language. I'm not talking about unorthodox languages like Zimbabwean or Latvian language, but the universal language called English. Tune into CCTV9 or Channel News Asia and you would see the newscaster speaking perfect English. And when I saw perfect English, it means they speak with complete American accent! I tried closing my eyes, listening to them and if they were on the radio I wouldn't be able tell if they are Chinese.

On the other hand, you can hardly find a Caucasian speaking Chinese language in Chinese accent. They might be able to speak good Chinese language but it would be in American-Chinese accent. Being being as a Chinese is relatively nice as we're exposed to various languages during infancy. There are many dialects in Chinese language apart from the major ones like Cantonese and Mandarin. So, it's in our gene that we're able to grasp easily when it comes to learning new language.

The next time you meet someone from the rural village in China, don't ever look down on them or they might say this to you "What you looking at, PUNK?"

No comments: